Always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine...

THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER
At this juncture, his A.A. sponsor usually laughs.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 26
I can remember when my sponsor laughed at me. I said "What are you laughing at? This is serious stuff!"  She said, "I'm laughing because I did the same thing too.."  At the time, I thought, how is any of this stuff in my inventory funny?  This woman must be crazy.  
For awhile, my guilt was telling me I didn't deserve to laugh.  I was subconsciously punishing myself for my past transgressions.  Laughing meant being happy and I didn't deserve to be happy.  So when I couldn't laugh, I drank.  I laughed when I was drinking, I was always laughing (or fighting someone or something).  It wasn't real laughter.  I still felt all of these horrible emotions inside but the edge was knocked off just a bit.  Just enough for me to laugh and try to portray to others that I must be "okay" because I was laughing.
My father was always a very serious man as a child.  I can remember when he laughed, I felt safe. If he was laughing there was a good chance there was not going to be any fighting in the house that night.  My father is an alcoholic and we grew up without laughter.  Everything was serious and I mean everything!! Especially when he was home. Most of the emotions I have,  have a strange "alcoholic" twist on them.  
I had to "un-learn" some learned behaviors  and really begin to understand my emotions in a healthier way.  That meant not taking myself so seriously and believing that I deserve to be happy.  I am not perfect.  I am a work in progress.  
Laughing is healthy and we must laugh at ourselves at times.  The further I get in my program, the more I am able to laugh at myself.  This gift that my higher power has given me has blessed me in so many ways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attitude Of Gratitude

Pain Is Inevitable, Suffering Is Optional