Commitment

"Intent reveals desire; Action reveals commitment."

- Dr. Steve Maraboli







Commitment used to cause me much anxiety.  It meant, taking part of my time do something that may or may not benefit me.  Of course I always had time to commit to drinking activities.  But doing things sober was scary for me.  All of the unresolved emotions and fears I had were travelling around with me in my back pocket.  Anxiety, low self-esteem, fear, loneliness, the list goes on...they went everywhere with me.

I would ALWAYS commit to things, but when it came time to deliver, I always fell short.  My children can remember the empty promises for sure.  I would make promises I couldn't keep.  I know now why I would do that...I was trying to make myself feel better or look better at the time I was making the promise, but when it came time to deliver...it was a no go.  I was either to hungover or busy drinking. I also found myself committing to several things at once and then I would be forced to make a choice.  When I didn't or couldn't deliver, I was unreliable.

Commitment is so important to me and my recovery today. When I can be reliable and keep my word, I can be trusted, When I am trustworthy I am honest.  My children now know they can depend on me.  

I do not commit to anything I can not do or am not willing to do. When I do commit to something, I follow through 100%.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attitude Of Gratitude

Pain Is Inevitable, Suffering Is Optional

Always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine...