Pain Is Inevitable, Suffering Is Optional

MYSTERIOUS PARADOXES
Such is the paradox of A.A. regeneration: strength arising out of complete defeat and weakness, the loss of one's old life as a condition for finding a new one.
— A.A. COMES OF AGE, p. 46
Hitting bottom for me was the beginning of a new life.  The Ninth Step promises tell me "...sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly."  I reached a point in my recovery where I looked back and thought, 'I am a miracle'.  
It didn't feel that way at first.  I wanted my life back, my kids back, my house back, I didn't want loneliness, I was tired of guilt.  I wanted it to all go away on my terms and my timeline. Slowly but surely, with faith and action, miracles began to happen right before more eyes.  For me and others in the program as well.  God has a plan for all of us and it is on His terms, not ours.  
My alcoholic way of thinking believed that things should happen on my timeline and my terms.  'Of course, the program just wasn't working', and when I saw a few miracles, it wasn't fast enough.  I hadn't yet let go of the idea that I am not in control.
I could never have imagined that I could be happy again, having a job again, having a home again, being in my children's life again.  I remember being in the grips of my alcoholism curled up on my kitchen floor ready to end my life because I couldn't even fathom a life like I have today.  I believed my life was always going to be the way it was.  I felt like my kids would be better off without me, a drunk drug addict.  I felt I was a burden to everyone around me and it was just a matter of time before everyone gave up on me.  
Here I am today, 10 years later.  Still alive and happier than I have ever been.  I am a productive member of society.  The rewards and miracles that have come my way I can attribute to God and the members in my fellowship who so diligently steered me toward taking the right actions.  
Today, I can help the broken Mom who lays on her dark cold kitchen floor and tell her she is worth it and that God loves her and has a plan for her.  I can tell her that her kids need her and love her.  I can tell her she can have her life back. 
The miracles are there for anyone who wants them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attitude Of Gratitude

Always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine...