Happiness

"Now and then its good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy"

I used to think happiness was perfection.  "When everything is perfect I will be happy."  What is "perfect"? The grass was always greener somewhere else.  I could never be content with what I had at the current time.  I was always seeking something, but just didn't know what it was I was needing to quell my hunger for happiness.

In my twenties, I moved a lot in search of happiness.  Looking for jobs or relationships that were going to make me happier than I was.  When things became settled in my life, I became bored.  I thought I was missing something somewhere else.  Panic would set in and I would instantly begin seeking a different  job or relationship to continue my search for happiness.  I had a fear that If I settled down and stayed in one spot, that was forever going to be my life as it was at that exact moment.  There would never be excitement or growth, I would be "stuck" right where I was.

The sad thing about that mindset is I  didn't see all of the beautiful things that were happening around me.  I had no appreciation of what I had or what I worked for.  If it wasn't perfect or if I thought I could do better somewhere else, I left.

I'm still not sure what I was looking for to satisfy my happiness.  I spent most of my life "starting over" instead of enjoying the present moment.  Maybe I was afraid of commitment.  Maybe I was afraid of being let down.

I never understood where to find true happiness.  Happiness is when you have meaning in your life. Helping others, teaching others and caring for others makes me truly happy.  I had my health to be happy about.  I have made some wonderful friends along the way.  These are some of things I should have been embracing.  Instead, I was searching for "something different".

Today, just the simple things in life make me happy.  The pitter-patter of my children's feet when they run through the house.  My flower garden that I planted last summer.  The way the sun looks when it comes up in the morning over Hwy 61.  Buffalo chicken horseshoes from Ritz' lil fryer.  My front porch on a cool summer evening.  Walking through the woods.  The purr of TT KiKi and the way she nudges her head in my neck.  The list goes on.

My point is, I have slowed down.  I appreciate everything in my life. I take the time to notice everything around me.  I'm no longer afraid that I am missing something somewhere else.  This is exactly where my higher power wants me to be and I'm going to make the best of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attitude Of Gratitude

Self Pity

I Am Home